Thursday, December 13, 2012

Small Blessings

So just a few other notes from this past trip.....

1) I did not plan long enough for this one.   Granted, this trip was a bit impulsive and I wished I had done some further research before I left.   However, there is something to be said for doing things on the fly and going after what you find while you're there.   Over-planning can mean you can't follow a path that tweaks your interest or what locals and other travellers suggest when you're finally there.    Had I not allowed for it, I never would have made it to Piha Beach which was definitely one of the most stunning sights on my trip!  

2) I am not a seasoned backpacker - I enjoy hotels, love separate shampoo and conditioner and desperately miss watching television.   But this was an adventure, an experience, not a vacation, and basically I only needed a place to sleep at night and a good shower as I planned to spend most of my time outdoors exploring.  So I opted for hostels/dorms/b&b's and just a couple of hotels that I got super deals on for 2 nights.  At first I was concerned I would be the oldest person in the hostels, until I met a 50+ year old man who was traveling similarly, who spent most of his time in hostels too.....he reminded me it has nothing to do with what it says on your birth certificate, you're only as old as you feel and it's never too late to get out there and do what you want and love in life!   

3) I'm pretty good at going budget on these - but I will always splurge on safety.   I walk.....A LOT, sometimes rent a bike or take transit (city buses excluded....note the aforementioned Orange Julius experience), but if something doesn't feel right and I can't get to the hostel/dorm door late at night, I will take a taxi from the station.  As a solo female traveler, one does need to pay a bit more attention to that and if it doesn't feel right in your gut, don't do it.   

4) Speaking of gut.....one of my fav things to do when traveling, is visit local grocery stores.   Yup - checking out the different kinds of food and the cost of each, is something I find really fun to do.   Plus, it's cheaper to stock up on snacks here and sample the local fruit, veggies, etc.    And I rarely buy anything on these trips, but somehow I ALWAYS come back with chocolate.    Without fail, I will bring back some variety I've never tried or heard of.    It's the one guilty pleasure I allow myself to get and generally it's the king-size bars....to share with others of course!  


5) And as much as I enjoy going away.....I love coming home.   To my family and friends, who are kind enough to read my ramblings; to the cat who greets me with a moment of anger for leaving her with a stranger, then ultimately happiness, because I bribe it out of her with treats; and to Canada, which is one of the greatest countries in the world, and a place I'm happy and proud to live.   And getting more stamps in my passport, is one of the coolest things I can think of....but after being "randomly" selected on 7 out of 9 flights for explosive/drug screening, and traveling more than 30 consecutive hours, there's nothing nicer than walking up to Canadian Customs/Border Control at midnight and have the kind woman say "welcome home".....mostly because she didn't ask me for yet another hand swab or pat down.  Small blessings.  




No comments:

Post a Comment